RAC Ontario Sections Bulletin for December 28, 2019

Paul Caccamo VA3PC

RAC Ontario Sections Bulletin for December 28, 2019

This is V__3____, Official Bulletin Station for Radio Amateurs of Canada, with this week's bulletin

NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS

1. RAC's Cybersecurity Efforts

To date, there have been no direct successful attacks on the RAC computer system or the RAC email alias
system.  Unfortunately attempts to defraud people through email messages and phone calls are a part of
the world we live in today.  Radio Amateurs of Canada is continuing to increase our cybersecurity.
We do not keep any financial information and only widely available personal information (such as name,
call sign and dates relating to current membership) is available in our system so our risks are
considerably less than compared to commercial systems.

For more information please see our Privacy Policy --
https://www.rac.ca/privacy-policy/

For information on our e-mail alias system, see --
https://www.rac.ca/cybersecurity/#alias/

-- RAC website

ONTARIO SECTION NEWS

ITEMS OF INTEREST

2. Reverse-polarity sunspots appear on the sun

A new solar cycle is coming. Dec 25, two sunspots emerged on the solar disk. Their reversed magnetic
polarity marks them as members of new Solar Cycle 25. This quickening of new-cycle solar activity suggests
that the sun is not entering a new Maunder Minimum despite the recent scarcity of sunspots.

-- Visit today's edition of Spaceweather.com for the full story

3. Possible fifth force of nature found

Over the years, humans have come up with four forces that can be used to describe every single interaction
in the physical world. They are gravity, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force that causes particle decay,
and the strong nuclear force that binds quarks into atoms. Together, these have become the standard model of
particle physics.  But the existence of dark matter makes this model seem incomplete. Surely there must be
another force (or forces) that explain both its existence and the reason for its darkness.

Hungarian scientists from the Atomki Nuclear Research Institute believe they have found evidence of a fifth
force of nature. While monitoring an excited helium atom's decay, they observed it emitting light, which is
not unusual. What is unusual is that the particles split at a precise angle of 115 degrees, as though they
were knocked off course by an invisible force.
The scientists dubbed this particle X17, because they calculated its mass at 17 megaelectronvolts (MeV).
A megaelectronvolt is equal to the energy gained when an electron moves from zero volts to one million volts.

-- Read the full Hackaday article: https://hackaday.com/2019/12/24/possible-fifth-force-of-nature-found/

4. ARRL Reshapes its Podcast Offerings for 2020

In conjunction with the launch of its new On the Air magazine, which is aimed at those just beginning their
journey in amateur radio, ARRL is reconfiguring its podcast lineup.

Heading up the new schedule will be a free companion podcast to the bimonthly "On the Air" magazine.
The "On the Air" podcast will take a deeper look into select features and projects from the magazine.
Each month, the host will offer additional resources, techniques, and hints to help less-experienced
radio amateurs to get the most from the magazine's content.

ARRL's current "So Now What?" podcast will cease production in January 2020, as the full complement of
"On the Air" content is rolled out. The archive of "So Now What?" episodes is available for listening or
downloading.

In addition, "The Doctor is In" podcast, which has served more-experienced amateurs since 2016, will conclude
its 4-year run on December 19, 2019. "The Doctor is In" podcast archive is available on the ARRL website.
"Eclectic Tech," a new bi-weekly podcast designed to appeal to experienced amateurs, will launch in February 2020.
It will highlight technical topics involving amateur and non-amateur technology, offer brief interviews with
individuals involved in projects of interest to amateurs, and include practical information of immediate benefit
to today's hams.

The "ARRL Audio News" podcast will continue to provide a weekly summary of news and activities within the
amateur radio community.

-- arrl news

This concludes this week's bulletin. Does anyone require repeats or clarifications?
Hearing none, This is V__3____ returning the frequency to net control.

Happy New Year everyone and all the best for 2020.
Bulletin sent from Official Bulletin Manager
Posted by: Paul Caccamo <va3pc @ rac.ca>

Join AllOntario@OntarioSectionsBulletin.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.