Topics

RAC Ontario Sections Bulletin for December 21, 2019

Paul Caccamo VA3PC

RAC Ontario Sections Bulletin for December 21, 2019

This is V__3____, Official Bulletin Station for Radio Amateurs of Canada, with this week's bulletin

NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS

1. IARU Region 2 News

This has been a busy and very productive year for Amateur Radio. The hard work by the volunteer IARU
team over the past four years preparing for WRC19 in Sharm al Sheik, Egypt, was rewarded with Region 1
attaining access to the six meter band and with no losses to our other allocations.

In Region 2, our triennial General Assembly was held in Lima, Peru with 20 of our Member Societies
represented.  Delegates elected a new Executive, selected Buenos Aires as the location for our 2022
General Assembly, and adopted changes to our Constitution and Bylaws, updating them to meet current
banking regulations.  Revised Standard Operating Procedures were also introduced.

In conjunction with the General Assembly, a one-day Emergency Communications Workshop featured speakers
from all parts of the Americas, and sharing lessons learned. Looking forward to 2020, we are already in the
planning stages of another workshop to be held in Trinidad and Tobago in the first half of the year, specifically
focused on the challenges of hurricanes in the Caribbean.

As Radio Amateurs, we share a common interest in radio communications not bounded by cultural,
religious, or other designations, creating friendships across oceans, national boundaries, and other
barriers.  This is unique and special in a world where we often focus on the things that separate us.
At this holiday time, the Executive Committee of IARU R2 offers our warmest best wishes for the coming
year.

-- George Gorsline VE3YV, IARU R2 Secretary

2. Major QRM on 40 metres

This week's South African Radio League News say European and South American radio amateurs have reported
major interference from Russian Over-the-Horizon Radar stations. Interference has been reported on 7 064,
7 109, 7 170 and 7 190 kHz. All signals are 12 kHz wide.
Several European Societies have already sent complaints to the Regulator in their country.

-- southgate news

ONTARIO SECTION NEWS

ITEMS OF INTEREST

3. Bar code lead developer George Laurer K4HZE SK

George was the lead developer of the bar code system that became the now-ubiquitous Universal Product Code
(UPC), George of Wendell, North Carolina, died on December 5. He was 94. While an electrical engineer with
IBM in North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park in the early 1970s, Laurer led the effort to develop the bar
code system. The UPC, composed of 30 unique black bars and a 12-digit number, allows retailers to identify
products and prices as they are scanned. It was used for the first time in a retail setting in 1974.

Laurer also later patented one of the first handheld UPC scanners. As The Washington Post reported, “The
bar-code concept had originated in the 1940s, when N. Joseph Woodland designed a bull’s eye-shaped
system of concentric circles, inspired by the dots and dashes of Morse code.” Woodland became a
colleague and Laurer considered him “the father of the supermarket scanning system.”

A native of New York, Laurer served in the US Army during World War II after being drafted while he was still
a junior in high school. He graduated from the University of Maryland in 1951 and spent 3 decades working for
IBM.
IBM never patented the bar code system, but made it publicly available in order to sell the associated hardware.

-- Washington Post and arrl news http://www.arrl.org/news/view/bar-code-lead-developer-george-laurer-k4hze-sk

4. Most Sunspot free days since 1913

It looks like 2019 will end the year with more days without Sunspots than any year since 1913
Space weather reported on December 17 there have been 34 consecutive days without Sunspots and a total
of 271 spotless days in 2019.

NOAA/NASA expects the Solar Cycle 24/25 minimum will occur in April 2020 ± 6 months
- https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/solar-cycle-25-forecast-update

The HF Link site has a useful chart showing years with most Sunspot free days
- http://hflink.com/solar/Spotless_Days_Historic_2019DEC18.png

-- Space Weather: https://spaceweather.com/

This concludes this week's bulletin. Does anyone require repeats or clarifications?
Hearing none, This is V__3____ returning the frequency to net control.

Merry Christmas everyone, and all the best for 2020.
Bulletin sent from Official Bulletin Manager
Posted by: Paul Caccamo <va3pc @ rac.ca>